Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Let the Waiting Game Begin...

Waiting… we wait every single day… At the cash (especially in that express line at the supermarket), for the bathroom at home or in public places… My bf even waits patiently for me when I try some clothes when we go shopping (and I thank him for that!). Over the years, I’ve learned that there’s no point being in a hurry, we always end up waiting anyway =P

However, all this changed upon the receipt of a little piece of paper… I got a letter from the Université de Montréal yesterday informing me that I am on their waiting list for admission to Law. According to the UdeM, there are 55 other people in my situation and I am ranked 22 (category 15) on the list (whatever that means). From what I understand, I will be waiting some more (no answers before June 15th!)

Needless to say, I am rather upset at this turn of events: I was really looking forward to this new academic adventure. Ah yes… I was ready to dive into another 3-4 years of school, complete with sleepless nights spent studying, cramming for exams and the frustration that come with it, to fight for internships and other good stuff. As friends of mine are now embarking on their respective exciting career paths, whether it be a job stint in India, a promising financial analyst position at a big bank or a teaching position, I was ready to delay my entry into the working world to burry myself into books until I was green in the face.

I was already picturing myself: a short version of an Asian Ally McBeal (without the short skirts though, they don’t look good on me) or one of those aggressive types on [insert name of any TV show about lawyers here] minus the back-stabbing minds and sexual misconducts. People would be calling me “Maître” (translates to Master in English… hehe) and my idea of fun would be to spend hours and nights working over corporate governance issues, M&A and other exciting things related to corporate and securities law. I would be driving around in my crème coloured Mini and live in some condo on Ile-des-Soeurs. And no, I would never become a politician…

With me on this waiting list, it just feels that the possibility of Min-the-Mini-lawyer seems fainter. As I recall, I my school record at ConU was not stellar, but was far from being a gutter performance either. I did have a setback with me trying to study Computer Science… As a result, I still can’t install a program and call for help whenever my computer gets funny and now, I can’t get into Law! I feel like the abbreviation of Concordia holds true (Conned You!)

WARNING – THE FOLLOWING PASSAGE MAY BE OFFENSIVE FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN CEGEP OR ARE OR HAVE STUDIED ANTHROPOLOGY, SOCIOLOGY, POLITICAL SCIENCE, HISTORY AND ANY OTHER PSEUDO-SCIENCE PROGRAMs. IF YOU ARE STUDYING IN THESE FIELDS, PLEASE SKIP THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH

I guess I was put into a large pool with all other aspiring wide-eyed students from cegep and universities. In this pool, there is bound to have students that have made anthropology, history and political science their major. I’m sorry, but those classes are easy. Come on, how hard could it be to learn historical dates by heart? To interpret an event in the past? To write or do research about why men leave the toilet seat up (sociology and behavioural “science”)? If I would have gone into those fields, I would probably end up with really good grades… but no, I decided to study something useful and that could actually amount to a real job that pays real money. As for cegep students, I think that I have more credentials than an 18 year old and after having completed 93 real undergrad credits. I thought that having experience was good…What gives?

What angers me more is that this is UdeM… I wonder what it took to be accepted… GPA of 5.0? Code-R of 45? Other Gomery-Commission-type bribes? Who knows… At this point, I wish to get a positive answer from McGill and then send it along with a request for revision at UdeM... If this ever happens (which I kinda doubt), trust me, I will do it.

In the meantime, I can only do what I know how to do best: wait… Patience is a virtue and I guess that this is a good time for me really whow it...

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Masta said...

Isn't Asian Ally McBeal Lucy Liu? Oh well, good luck with Law school! I like your chances! Way to stick it to anyone who doesn't study science, finance or engineering! Screw em', I say!!!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger MiniMin said...

Well... you're right... I would be a shorter version of Lucy Liu...that tells you how much I watched the show (i.e.: never saw it!)

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck, Law school is for idiots who cant count. Everyone knows that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home