Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Soothing Power of Rationalization

You must have noticed that I was pretty peeved by the waiting list issue... "Me, waiting list?! How dare they! Universities should beg to have me on their campuses! What do you mean my head doesn’t fit through the door anymore?!" Reality being what it is, waiting lists, as I have learned, are pretty common for restricted programs and being on one does not necessarily mean automatic failure.

In fact, being on a waiting list seems to be a rite of passage towards a better life, job and a pre-requisite to be part of society's elite. Last afternoon, I learned that my colleague’s legal career also started on a waiting list. Seeing where he is today gave me hope. If he did it, so can I! In turn, many years from now, I can see myself tell my kids or other ambitious and aspiring young-uns: “Don’t worry, my career also started on a waiting list… but no, you’ll never be as successful as me…”

As the best Law schools in Canada recruit the best and brightest candidates and as these people take their leisurely time to accept these offers, they will surely eventually turn down their spot at UdeM, as it is often considered a back-up school to McGill, UOttawa, UofT and the likes. So if enough bright people desert UdeM, there might still be a chance left for the not-so-bright and ordinary folk (i.e.: Me!)

Besides, there are worst waiting lists to be on: waiting lists to see a doctor, waiting lists for operations, waiting lists to get an organ transplant or worst… The waiting list to get that $5,000+ Birkin handbag by Hermes (which by now must have a wait time of over 18 months)!

I'll think of it as an initiation (a tamer version of the College/University ones: no alcohol nor weird contests involved)... If I survive it, I'm in...

Although this is was cheap rationalization exercise, it sure made me feel better… As that is what rationalization does best!

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Masta said...

this doesn't sound like Min. When we were hustling in downtown ConU, she was all about RUCKUS!!! Not rationalization.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home